Local Food Hub is hiring a Farm Stand Assistant
Position Overview: This is a part-time, temporary position reporting to the Food Access Associate. The Farm Stand Assistant will be responsible for transporting farm stand supplies to and from a central storage location to various farm stand locations throughout Louisa County. They will assist with the setup, breakdown, and management of the farm stand.
Work Hours/Shift: This is a temporary part-time paid position (Approximately 4-5 hrs every other week). Candidates must be available from mid October-December 2022 to be eligible for this position. Candidates must be able to work scheduled farm stand shifts on Mondays and Thursdays from 3:00pm-7:00pm. Start date as soon as possible. End date December 2022 with possibility of extension.
- Operate farm stand events including packaging and displaying produce, restocking farm stand tables and coolers, farm stand set-up and break-down, and customer service.
- Transporting materials to and from storage unit before/after the events.
- Ability to safely lift 50 pounds in and out of a raised truck bed repeatedly
- Ability to set up tents and tables
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, including in direct sunlight, and on both grass and asphalt
- Comfortable working with a diverse population including youth, communities of color, and non-English speaking clients
- A high-energy, friendly attitude (even if it’s hot, cold, rainy, or the end of a long day)
- Self-motivated and demonstrated ability to work cooperatively as part of a team
- Ability to drive and safely maneuver an insured vehicle (does not require a commercial drivers license) and clean driving record. Vehicle access required; larger vehicles preferred (ability to transport multiple 100 quart coolers and large items at once).Travel will involve going to and from various locations within Louisa County
- Experience with fresh produce handling a plus
- Residency in and familiarity with Louisa County a plus
Farm Stand Schedule
Each Farm Stand is 4:30-5:30. The Farm Stand Assistant can expect to spend approximately one hour each for setup and breakdown, plus time to transport supplies to and from the storage unit. Dates for 2022 include:
Please send a letter outlining your interest in the position, any relevant experience, and description of qualifications to email@example.com. Finalists will be asked to provide a reference who can speak to their qualifications.
Willingness to undergo background check required.
Due to the limited nature of this position, potential employees must be available for all markets. No weekend or holiday work will be required. Local Food Hub will be flexible in case of emergency.
About Local Food Hub:
Local Food Hub is a nonprofit organization based in Charlottesville, Virginia that advances equitable access to fresh food, independent farms, and fairness in farming.
Local Food Hub is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming a diversity of voices and perspectives is essential to solving the pressing issues of today, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the farm and food movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local la